Return to About Mormons home
One of the best ways to teach a skill or show a process is by a demonstration. Demonstration is a "show-and-tell" technique. You may use charts, pictures, drawings, or films to show the skill or process. Most members of the family have some skill they could share, and sharing these skills with each other is a good way to build confidence.
These suggestions will help you give an interesting and motivating demonstration.
1. Choose a skill or process that is simple enough to show in a few minutes' time.
2. Decide how you will teach the skill or process. For example, if you want to demonstrate how to make a cake, you could bring the ingredients and actually make the cake. Or, if you wanted to show how to calculate tithing, you could use a chalkboard, a poster, or real coins.
3. Divide the process or skill into its most important steps or parts. Build the demonstration around these basic steps or parts.
4. Let the members of the family use the materials you brought to practice the skill or process you are demonstrating.
5. Use chalkboard outlines or other visuals to clarify concepts when needed.
6. Explain any terms you use that might be new and unfamiliar to the family.
7. Give handouts if needed to help the family remember what you have demonstrated.
Set a time to share skills, information, and talents through family demonstrations. You will be surprised how much family members have to share and how much they will enjoy learning new ideas. Let even the young children take part. Here are some skills your family might want to demonstrate:
How to make bread
How to cook in a wok
How to make crepes
How to set a table
How to plan a well-balanced meal
How to arrange flowers
How to decorate cakes
How to make a baby quilt
How to change a tire
How to survive in the water
How to bat a ball
How to sharpen a saw
How to change a washer in a faucet
How to respond to various emergencies
How to find locations on a map
How to preserve insects for a collection
How to treat shock
How to give mouth-to-mouth resuscitation
(See Daily Living home page; Family Home Evening home page; Family Activities home page)
Copyright © 1983 by THE CHURCH of JESUS CHRIST of Latter-day Saints
All About Mormons